Upcoming Course Dates
- Helen is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and very willing to help! She was able to provide wonderful examples of each topic and always smiling!
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (email@example.com)
An online equivalent of this course is available with immediate access.
The following courses are closely related to this course.
Commercial Finance for Non-Financial Managers London
2-Days Developing Skills
BUY ONE PLACE GET ONE HALF PRICE – Email us to book
This two-day course is ideal for business managers who would like to be more financially skilled. Starting from scratch, you’ll understand the key financial concepts that are of crucial importance in the boardroom. And we break these concepts down to see what they mean for you in your role. We cover the big picture; how accountants think; how the numbers help you understand performance; budgeting and forecasting; and investment appraisal – everything you need to know to make better business decisions, including all the jargon.
- Understand balance sheets and income statements and use them confidently
- Contribute effectively to budgets and forecasts
- Understand key corporate finance concepts such as ROI and cost of capital
- Be able to evaluate investment proposals using concepts such as NPV and IRR
- Make better decisions by understanding the financial impact of your actions
- Be able to speak the language of the boardroom and be able to communicate more effectively with finance professionals
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day at one of wallacespace’s lovely venues
- A folder containing all your course materials
- A copy of our printed financial glossary
- Briefing papers, online courses and quizzes available after your course via a virtual classroom
- Access to our tutors by phone or email should you have any questions after your course
After the course, you will have access for 4 months to the following eLearning courses which will help you consolidate your knowledge:
- The Basics of Business Finance – Essentials
- Understanding Shareholder Value – Essentials
- Budgeting & Forecasting – Essentials
- Investment Appraisal – Essentials
- How to Analyse a Company – Coffee Break
What you will learn
The Big Picture
- Business structures – funding & ownership
- Stock markets, securities
- Issues for listed companies
- Share price and why it matters
- Who companies report to and the role of auditors
Corporate Finance Essentials
- Shareholder value – what it really means
- Capital structure and gearing/leverage
- Cost of capital and introduction to ROI
- The link with corporate strategy
- Concepts, definitions, building models
- Payback periods
- Net Present Values & IRRs
- Making the business case
- Accounting concepts, principles, terminology
- How the financial statements fit together
- Key concepts and how accountants think
- When are sales and costs included?
- Accruals and prepayments, depreciation and capex, capital vs revenue costs
- Tangible assets, intangible assets, goodwill
- The working capital cycle
- Asset utilisation/efficiency
- Income statement definitions and responsibilities
- EBITDA and other P&L jargon
- Analysing profits
- Definitions – profits versus cash flows
- Analysing and managing cash flows
- Return on investment and other key performance indicators
- Comparing performance – tips and pitfalls
- Budgets – definitions, examples, difficulties
- Cost types and behaviours
- Variances and other month end issues
- Reviewing typical reports
Summary and conclusion and how to continue learning
How you will learn
You’ll play our accounting board game with monopoly money – a powerful tool for learning how the financial statements fit together. And you’ll experience interactive exercises and quizzes that simulate real life scenarios, such as budget reviews.
We encourage you to bring examples from your own company, which will bring the learning to life.
You will take away practical skills that you can put into practice back at work that will ensure long-lasting learning.