Upcoming Course Dates
This course is run in conjunction with NIRI.
Bookings will be made via their website.
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (email@example.com)
The following course is closely related to this course.
The course below will complement your chosen course.
Finance & Capital Markets 101
1-Day Introductory Skills
Learn the essentials of capital markets, corporate finance and accounting. This course will give you the jargon and concepts you need to participate in financial discussions and enable you to engage with investors, analysts, the business media and the C-suite.
Who should attend?
- Investor Relations professionals who do not have a finance or capital markets background
- Corporate communicators who would like to understand the language of the C-suite and the financial markets
- Those starting a career in IR or media relations in a listed company environment
- Understand the capital markets and how IR and corporate communications fit in
- Grasp the essentials of economics
- Appreciate the perspectives of investors, analysts and the financial media
- Be able to identify the earnings release headlines and see which numbers matter
- Familiarize yourself with financial jargon and improve your financial fluency so that you can participate fully at conference
What you will learn
- Overview of the capital markets
- Debt and equity funding – understanding shares and bonds
- The role of investment banks
- Working within the regulations
- The perspectives of your key financial audiences
- FinanceTalking investment game round 1
- The business cycle – growth, inflation, bubbles and crashes, impact of Government policy
- Defensive versus cyclical companies
- The impact of interest rates
- Growth, income and value
- FinanceTalking investment game round 2
Key Financial Audiences & their Perspectives
- Understanding investors and investment styles
- The role of the sell-side analyst
- FinanceTalking investment game round 3
Working with Financial Information
- Understanding the income statement
- Identifying the numbers that matter
- The difference between GAAP and non-GAAP numbers
- Understanding headlines and key messages for earnings
- FinanceTalking investment game round 4
- Why value matters
- What drives stock market values
- Key issues for financial communications
- Investment game conclusion
- Bringing it all together and taking your knowledge forward