If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (email@example.com)
If you would prefer face-to-face learning the equivalent open course is available.
This course is part of the following course bundle:
The course below will complement your chosen course.
Finance Essentials for Banks – Online Course
2-4 Hours Introductory Skills
Learn about how banks make money, how they create value for their shareholders and the key concerns for bank management and regulators. You will see how the balance sheet and income statement work for a bank and you’ll understand key financial jargon and commonly used financial metrics such as ROE, cost:income ratio, leverage and net interest margin. We will also cover bank capital regulation, including risk-weighted assets, CET1 and leverage ratios and the rules for too-big-to-fail banks. And we consider current trends, the implications for profitability and the challenges facing banks.
- Understand how banks make money and the strategies they employ to drive value creation for their shareholders
- Appreciate how capital regulation works and understand the key ratios
- Learn how to evaluate a bank’s performance using commonly used key performance indicators
What you will learn
The big picture
- Why do we need banks
- Types of bank
- The current environment
How banks create value
- Shareholder value concepts
- Returns to shareholders (TSR)
- Driving growth and ROE/ROTE
How banks make money
- How the financial statements work
- How banks make profits
- Why banks need high leverage
- Competing pressures on banks
- Capital and why banks need it
- Capital ratios
- Leverage, liquidity and net stable funding
- Basel III, stress tests etc
- Too-big-to-fail banks
- Looking for growth
- Returns and other KPIs
- Adjusted profits
Typical bank strategies
- The link with value creation
- Real bank examples
- Putting it all together
Summary & conclusion
How you will learn
Our online courses are written and designed in-house to be practical, concise and engaging. They are great as a stand-alone learning tool, as a pre-course requirement or to consolidate your previous learning.
We use visuals, audio and plenty of interactivity to keep you interested and alert. You can control the pace and can recap at any point. All courses come with a briefing paper for you to download and keep.
Our online courses are on demand, so you can do them whenever and wherever you like. You can use any device with speakers or headphones.
With our personalised approach you are welcome to email or phone your tutor if you have questions or you’d like to discuss any aspect of the course and we will monitor your progress & send reminders when necessary.
You will have 4 months to complete your course (longer if required).