Upcoming Course Dates
- I did a graduate scheme so had received this type of training before, this was SO much better!
To get the most out of this course, you should have completed the following:
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (firstname.lastname@example.org)
An online equivalent of this course is available with immediate access.
The following course is closely related to this course.
Finance Essentials for Banks
1-Day Developing Skills
This concise, one day course will enable you to gain a working knowledge of how banks make money and create value for their shareholders. We will cover bank strategy and key performance indicators; how the income statement and balance sheet work for a bank and the headline numbers for results; how banks are regulated and the impact this has on strategy and performance. We will use a major bank as our main example and compare to a range of others.
- Become conversant with the language of a bank’s senior management
- Understand the business of banking and how banks make money
- Appreciate how banks create value for shareholders and how this drives strategy
- Understand bank balance sheets and income statements
- See how banks are regulated, including capital ratios, leverage, liquidity etc
- Be able to use key performance indicators to tell your financial story
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day at one of wallacespace’s lovely venues
- A folder containing all your course materials
- A copy of our printed financial glossary
- Briefing papers, online courses and quizzes available after your course via a virtual classroom
- Access to our tutors by phone or email should you have any questions after your course
After the course, you will have access for 4 months to the following eLearning courses which will help you consolidate your knowledge:
- Introduction to Companies, Funding & the Capital Markets – Essentials
- Finance Essentials for Banks – Essentials
What you will learn
- Context – economic overview
- Capital markets essentials including the yield curve and funding
- Why banks are highly leveraged
- How banks create value
- Example bank strategy – how it fits in
Banking and Accounting Essentials
- How banks make profits
- Exercise: Banks accounting game
Regulation & Capital Ratios
- Exercise: Banking risks
- Basel I, II and III overview
- Capital, risk-weighted assets and capital ratios
- Other Basel III measures
- Impact of regulatory landscape on profitability
- Capital and leverage ratios compared
Key Performance Indicators
- Exercise: How KPIs tell the story
Example Bank Review
- Understanding financial strength
- Understanding growth and profitability
- Segment performance
- Key performance Indicators vs peers
Summary and Conclusion
- Telling the story – the link with strategy
- The future for the banking sector
- How to learn more
How you will learn
This course uses real bank examples and a collaborative approach to learning.
Introduction to Financial Markets, Financial PR and IR Course; or Introduction to Capital Markets eLearning; or equivalent knowledge.
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (email@example.com).