Investment Appraisal – Essentials Online Course
2 Hours Introductory Skills
Understand investment appraisal from first principles. We cover payback period, ROI, NPV, IRR and making the business case. We also show you how to think about the inputs to your spreadsheet and how to challenge the assumptions to ensure that you’re making the best possible decisions.
- Be able to assess a project from a financial point of view
- Understand what’s expected of you and how the process of project appraisal works
- Use appraisal methodologies such as payback period, ROI, NPV and IRR effectively
- Be able to make a compelling business case
What you will learn
Where to Start…
- Why do we need investment appraisal?
- Typical policies and procedures
- Estimating the costs and benefits
Investment Appraisal Techniques
- Payback period & simple ROI
Discounted Cash Flow Techniques
- Discounting cash flows
- Net present value (NPV)
- Internal rate of return (IRR)
- High level sensitivity analysis
The Business Case
- Submitting a project for approval
- Challenging the assumptions
- Relationship between IRR & ROCE
- Evaluating projects which continue indefinitely
Making the business case
- The complete appraisal
- The investment decision
- When to use which technique
- Post investment reviews
How you will learn
Our online financial training courses are written and designed in-house to be practical, concise and engaging. They are great as a stand-alone learning tool, as a pre-course requirement or to consolidate your previous learning.
- We break down each course into bite-sized chunks so that you can do 5 or 10 minutes at a time on your smartphone, tablet or laptop anywhere you like so long as you have an internet connection and headphones.
- You will find plenty of visuals, audio and interactivity to keep you interested and alert. You can control the pace and can recap at any point.
- Our personalised approach means that you can email or phone your tutor if you have questions.
- We will monitor your progress & send reminders when necessary.
- You will have 4 months to complete your course (longer if required).