Upcoming Course Dates
To get the most out of this course, you should have completed the following:
If you are unsure whether this course is right for you, please contact Miranda Lane (email@example.com)
An online equivalent of this course is available with immediate access.
The following courses are closely related to this course.
Strategic & Commercial Finance for Business Leaders
2-Days Leadership Skills
Starting with a brief recap, we break down the drivers of shareholder value to understand what they mean for strategy and for you in your leadership role. You will take away the skills you need to engage fully in strategic discussions and corporate finance decisions, enabling you to contribute effectively to your organisation’s financial decision-making processes.
- Understand the big picture – what shareholder value really means and how this feeds through to strategy and investment decision-making
- Appreciate the impact of the economic environment and how this might impact strategy and risk management
- Gain an overview of whole company valuation for listed and private companies and in M&A situations
- Be able to identify key performance indicators, appreciate how they drive the business and see how to set appropriate targets
- Further develop your practical financial management skills
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day at one of wallacespace’s lovely venues
- A folder containing all your course materials
- A copy of our printed financial glossary
- Briefing papers, online courses and quizzes available after your course via a virtual classroom
- Access to our tutors by phone or email should you have any questions after your course
After the course, you will have access for 4 months to the following eLearning courses which will help you consolidate your knowledge:
- The Basics of Business Finance
- Understanding Shareholder Value
- Budgeting & Forecasting
- Investment Appraisal
- Understanding Financial Results & Annual Reports
- Understanding Company Valuation
What you will learn
The Big Picture
- Capital markets and funding overview
- Impact of macro-economics
- Models for assessing strategy and risk analysis
- Strategic plans – getting involved
- Management’s task
Corporate Finance Essentials
- Creating value – what it really means
- Capital structure and cost of capital
- Return on investment (ROI)
Accounting Essentials Recap
- Accounting concepts & terminology
- Understanding financial statements
- Reminder of key measures and how they fit together
- Review of typical financial information
- Seeing through the eyes of shareholders
- Seeing through the eyes of lenders
- Management’s perspective on financial information and how to set appropriate targets for your team
- Getting the best from budget negotiations
- Budget reviews – how to come prepared
- Using financial information to make business decisions
- How to get the most out of monthly financial reviews
- Communicating effectively using financial information
Making a Business Case
- Investment appraisal principles revisited
- Developing and checking your model
- Making the business case – the link to strategy
- Presenting and challenging the business case
Evaluating Business Value
- Company valuation overview
- DCF valuation – inputs and problems
- Cross checks using multiples and market values
- Valuation in different circumstances
- Scenarios – what changes value?
- Scenarios – what if…?
- How can you contribute?
Summary and conclusion & how to continue learning
How you will learn
You will experience lots of discussion and debate along with interactive exercises and case studies that simulate real life scenarios.
You will take away practical skills that you can put into practice back at work that will ensure long-lasting learning.